DIY: Whipped Body Butter
Who doesn't love soft, moisturized, and healthy skin? The butters and oils used in this recipe are the perfect combination that will leave your skin moisturized for days after applying. Customize your whipped body butter with any essential oil of your choice. This also makes a great gift!
1/2 cup Shea Butter
1/2 cup Cocoa Butter
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
15 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil*
15 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil*
- Measure all butters and oils in glass jar.
- Fill a large skillet/saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the glass jar to the center of the saucepan to melt and combine ingredients.
- Stir every few minutes until the ingredients are melted and combined. (10-15 minutes)
Tip: Use a popsicle stick to stir for easy cleanup.
- Once everything is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Add desired essential oils.
- Once essential oils are added, let it rest in a cool place (such as the refrigerator) until it has set.
- Once chilled, take out of refrigerator. With a stand or hand mixer, start on low and slowly turn the speed higher until the lotion becomes light and fluffy (around 3-5 minutes).
- You're done! Store mixture in a glass jar and keep in a cool place.
Note: The body butter should be stored in a cool place. If you need to re-fluff the body butter you can simply whip it back up to the consistency you like with a hand mixture.
*Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity so we don’t recommend using them if you plan on being in direct sunlight after topical application. The personal care products that doTERRA produces such as the Salon Essentials, lotions, etc. are a little different. The shampoo and cleansers are wash off products so there is no concern there, as well as the products that stay on such as the lip balm and lotion are found in a small, appropriate amounts that will not cause any phototoxic harm. Because we work closely with experts in formulations, we are able to provide a safe formulation. Essential oils at full strength on their own are very potent and is why they carry the photosensitivity warning.